Ductless mini-split air conditioning and heating units are a great option for homes without ductwork. They are also an efficient cooling option when building on an addition, or for use in a room where temperature consistency is difficult to maintain with an existing conventional system, such as a sunroom.
Costs of Ductless Cooling Systems
Two primary costs go into the upfront investment for a ductless cooling system – materials and installation. They are more complicated to install than a traditional window air conditioning unit and require installation by qualified HVAC professionals. A typical installation of a single unit requires several hours of labor, depending on the construction situation, and can cost up to half of the price of the unit.
Related Read: Why You Need an Air Conditioning System This Summer
Benefits of Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioning
Ductless cooling offers many benefits for homeowners to consider.
- Easy installation.
- Take up minimal interior space with flexible mounting options.
- Corresponding outdoor unit can be located up to 50-feet away for noise reduction, convenience and environmental considerations.
- No ducts translate into less energy loss compared to traditional duct systems.
- Multiple units can be connected to one outdoor unit, each with its own thermostat for efficiency.
- Easy and efficient supplemental cooling source, especially for extra rooms and additions.
Related Read: Getting the Most Out of Your Air Conditioner
Disadvantages to Consider
The three main detractors for some homeowners when considering a mini-split system include cost, appearance and upkeep.
- Equipment cost is 30 percent more than central cooling (without the ductwork costs) and up to twice as much as window cooling units.
- Proper installation is crucial or energy can be wasted and thus costly to operate.
- Appearance of indoor units can interfere with some decorating aesthetics.
- Maintenance is required by the consumer in terms of filter cleaning.
Read about our mini-split products here.
Ductless systems are just one of many HVAC systems we provide. Home Comfort Experts is committed to providing expert air conditioning and heating installation. Among our many guarantees are lower prices on comparable installations; our technicians clean up when they are finished; and we offer a “no lemons” 5-year replacement policy on failed air conditioner compressors.
Learn more about mini-splits at our website here.
Contact our Comfort Experts technicians today at (574) 255-4600 to learn more about how we work hard to keep your cool air blowing cold during hot summer days. We have services in 12 locations including South Bend, Mishawaka, Plymouth, LaPorte, Elkhart, Columbia City and Fort Wayne in Indiana, and Niles and St. Joseph in Michigan. We offer specials and financing assistance.