Whether you’re in northern Indiana or southwest Michigan, everyone wants to save on energy costs. Of course, how you go about it greatly depends on the unique circumstances of your home. With that in mind, there are a few common trouble spots that you can evaluate to help develop a successful energy-savings plan:
- Air leaks: If you have cracks in your home’s exterior, you’re not only losing conditioned air, but introducing unwanted moisture and contaminants into your household. As a result, your HVAC system has to work harder to give you the performance and comfort you desire.
- HVAC components: If your equipment is aging or simply neglected, performance will suffer, as will your comfort and energy budget. Schedule annual maintenance for both your heating and cooling systems to keep them in optimal condition, and when a replacement becomes the most cost-effective option, upgrade. Also, be sure to keep an eye on your ductwork. If your ducts aren’t properly sealed, you could be losing significant amounts of conditioned air.
- Insulation: A lot of homes suffer from inadequate insulation, which means they gain unwanted heat in the summer and lose conditioned air in the winter. Boosting insulation can significantly improve energy efficiency.
Once you know what you’re dealing with, you can formulate the most cost-effective energy-savings plan that your budget will allow. You’ll want to prioritize your problems in terms of what needs to be addressed and the return you’ll see on your investment. Consider:
- Patterns in your energy costs
- Where the greatest energy loss is occurring
- Which jobs will require professional assistance
- Whether or not you have the skills, patience and time needed for do-it-yourself work
- The value of the investment as it relates to the amount of time you are planning to spend in your current home (certain improvements increase the value of your home)
With your priorities in order, you can make better decisions in your approach to household energy savings. Of course, if you’re having trouble making these all-important decisions, our trained technicians are always standing by. For an expert consultation, contact Home Comfort Experts of Ft. Wayne or Mishawaka and surrounding areas.
Home Comfort services the Mishawaka/South Bend areas of Indiana. Visit our special furnace and air conditioner offers to get started today!