Hiring an HVAC contractor requires trust. As a homeowner, you have to trust the expertise of the contractor you hire. After all, you’re placing your expensive home-comfort equipment — not to mention your family’s comfort and safety — into the hands of a stranger.
How can you make this process a little easier, while taking steps to ensure that you choose the best contractor possible? There are several ways to help ensure the HVAC contractor you choose is experienced, knowledgeable and reliable.
First, know what to look for:
- Family-owned business. If you want personal service, hire a family run HVAC contractor. These contractors are generally highly qualified and experienced, but they won’t treat you like a number — or just another sale.
- Services. If you know that you want to use one contractor for all of your needs, including heating, cooling and plumbing, make sure you hire a full-service contractor that performs these services.
- Maintenance plans. Many homeowners participate in maintenance plans, which generally offer discounts, savings and priority service. Investigate the contractor’s plan to see if it fits your needs and your budget.
- Qualifications. Is it important to you that your contractor prioritize “green” HVAC services? Do you value NATE certification? Be sure to ask questions about the qualifications, certifications and associations the contractor holds.
- Guarantees. How does the contractor back up the work performed? Do they offer 100 percent satisfaction guaranteed? A no-lemon guarantee?
It’s also important to check into a contractor’s history, ensuring that they don’t have a record of disgruntled customers. Look at the overall picture, because every company will have a handful of dissatisfied customers — but those companies that have a long-standing position in the community with a strong majority of satisfied customers get proven results.
- The contractor’s standing with the Contractors State License Board
- The contractor’s Better Business Bureau standing
- The references the company provides
If you’re hiring an HVAC contractor, call your local experts at Home Comfort Experts. We serve Northern Indiana and Southwest Michigan homeowners with a 100 percent-satisfaction guarantee and high-quality workmanship standards. We never compromise on quality.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.