Keeping your boiler in good running condition is crucial in the cold winter months. There are several common issues that can cause your boiler system to stop functioning properly that entail easy and inexpensive fixes. However, sometimes, it may be time for a replacement boiler. Having your home boiler professionally serviced at the start of each new heating season, will help thwart smaller problems and especially help to avoid complete system failure during the coldest time of the year. Here are some things a homeowner needs to be on the lookout for that may indicate a problem with their boiler.
5 Signs Your Boiler is Not Functioning Properly
- Age of the boiler – As a homeowner, it is crucial to know how old your boiler is. Typically, they can have a lifespan of 20 to 35 years. If you are experiencing repeat problems with an aging boiler that are becoming costly, it may be time to consider replacing it.
Related Read: Overall Energy Savings Impacts Lifetime Costs of Your HVAC System
2. Increased utility or fuel bills – When heating systems are compromised they will not operate efficiently, resulting in higher bills and greater fuel usage as the impaired system struggles to heat your home.
Related Read: Saving Energy with a High Efficiency Boiler
3. Lack of comfort – If your heater is not heating your home to the setting you have it on, and you find yourself having to increase the thermostat setting to remain comfortable, it is a sign of a problem. Also, if there are particular areas or rooms in your home that are not consistently heating, that could mean there is a problem with the delivery system.
4. Insufficient Water Heating – If the water in your home is not being sufficiently heated for showering, or the hot water runs out before you finish, that is a sign of trouble. Also, if your tap water is taking a long time to heat, that indicates your boiler is not performing sufficiently.
5. Water Leaks, Strange Smells or Unusual Noises – As a homeowner, you get used to normal sounds and creaks in your residence. Keeping your senses attuned for unusual smells and noises is a first line of defense in detecting problems with your home’s heating system. Make sure to regularly visit the basement and check the area around your heater for signs of water leakage that would also be a sign of a malfunction.
Should you detect any of the above signs that your boiler is not operating properly, it is necessary to contact a home heating professional who can quickly trouble shoot the cause.
Contact our heating professionals at Home Comfort Experts today to learn about our maintenance program to keep your HVAC systems optimally. We have experience in maintaining and installing most brands of home heating systems. We serve Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan from our two locations. Give us a call at (574) 255-4600 to learn about our full complement of heating, cooling and plumbing services.