Spring is just around the corner. So what does that mean for your home? It is time to get things spruced up and ready to go so you can enjoy spending time outdoors. The Home Comfort Experts Plumbing, Heating and Cooling team put together an easy spring maintenance checklist for you to follow.
- Change your furnace filter. It is important that your filter is changed every month, unless otherwise directed by your manufacturer. This is a good habit to form because a clean furnace filter will help trap airborne allergens. This in turn helps you and your family breathe easier.
- Test and clean your air conditioner. If leaves or any other debris have fallen onto your air conditioner, it is best to remove it for your AC system’s maximum efficiency. For some extra cleanup, you can lightly spray your unit with a hose. Just be sure that it is off first! Don’t forget to test your air conditioner to know that it is working properly. There is nothing worse than finding out otherwise on the first hot day of the year.
- Check your home’s gutters. They say that April showers bring May flowers, but have you thought about the standing puddles and flooding that can come with it? Make sure that you have removed leaves and other debris from your gutters so that rainwater can properly drain. Also consider repositioning your downspouts so that water can flow away from your home rather than collecting at its foundation.
- Inspect your roof. The winter months bring with them weather that can do some damage to your home’s roof. Because of this, it is important to be on the lookout for missing or loose shingles. If you notice these problems it may be time to call a roofer.
- Bring out the garden hose. It is time to haul your garden hose back out of storage and hook it up to your home. This is an important time to ensure that the tap is still working. While you are working on the lawn, you might as well connect your sprinklers and test your irrigation system.
- Check your sump pump. If your basement is prone to flooding, the spring rains could cause some damage. To avoid a soaked basement, it is often beneficial to install a battery backup in case your main power source fails (as is common during thunderstorms).
- Schedule your spring furnace and air conditioner maintenance. Each year, your entire heating and cooling system needs two tune-ups. Do not wait until it is too late to get yours. When you schedule an air conditioning maintenance call with Home Comfort Experts, we will identify any issues in your system before they turn into big problems. Furnace and air conditioner tune-ups can also help save you money in energy costs, and who doesn’t want that?
To schedule your spring heating and cooling tune-up, give Home Comfort Experts a call or visit our website to request a service.