Normally, come the end of January, the Mishawaka and Columbia City areas are experiencing cold and snow. However, 2013 is throwing us for a loop and with the recent humidity and rain homeowners may begin to experience a few problems. Basement flooding, mold growth, musty smells, and damage to possessions are common occurrences in weather like this. So what can you do to avert these situations? The Home Comfort Experts team of professionals put together our best tips to help you keep your basement dry and prevent moisture problems!
- Ensure your sump-pump is in good working order – have it serviced by a licensed and reputable plumber annually.
- Consider having a licensed plumber install a back-up sump pump if your basement is prone to flooding and you are in an area where power outages are frequent. There are several options, battery back-up or water-powered.
- To reduce humidity levels in your home, have a professional add a dehumidifier to your HVAC system.
- Keep your basement windows closed at all times.
- Make sure your clothes dryer is not discharging into the house.
- Install a bathroom fan.
- Look for ways to divert rainwater away from your home—extend rain gutter down-spouts away from home and make sure the grade of your yard surfaces slope away from your home.
- Make sure rain gutters are clean and unobstructed.
Use these tips to keep your home comfortable through the rain and humidity! If you are experiencing any problems be sure to give Home Comfort Experts a call. Our client care representatives are available 24 hours a day to serve you.