Ductless OverviewHow It Works
1. What Are Ductless Systems?
Ductless systems — also known as “mini-splits” — are electric, high-efficiency, heat-pump systems designed to heat and cool your living spaces to within a half of a degree and use up to 40 percent less energy than traditional heating and cooling methods.
Ductless heat pump systems pump cooled or heated refrigerant directly from the outdoor condensing unit to air-handling units through refrigerant lines. Each living space has its own air-handling unit, and each unit has its own controller.
2. Traditional System vs Ductless System...
In contrast to traditional heating and cooling systems with massive duct systems, ductless systems are more compact and straightforward, not to mention aesthetically appealing and cost-effective.
Home Comfort Experts is a Diamond Contractor for Mitsubishi Electric. We offer single-zone systems, which consist of an outdoor and indoor unit, and multi-zone outdoor units that can handle from two to eight indoor units in a variety of styles. As a Diamond Contractor, Home Comfort Experts offers customers a 12-year-parts and 12-year-labor warranty, better than any other HVAC company in our 12 service areas.
3. More Information About Ductless Systems...
- Indoor unit: Uses refrigerant in the coil to cool or heat air and quietly delivers where you need it in the living room space.
- Outdoor unit: Has an inverter-driven compressor pump that cools or warms refrigerant and sends it inside to an air handler through small pipes. Power and control wiring connects the outdoor to the indoor unit, also.
- Wireless controller: Conveniently allows occupants to adjust temperature, fan speed and more at the touch of a button.
Your Mini-Split HVAC
Not Heating or Cooling?
We Can Help!
Three Primary Components of the Ductless Split System
The temperature of the rooms is controlled with a touch of a button. You can set it to cool, dry, heat, or auto. You also have the option to adjust the direction where you want the unit to blow the air as well as the speed of the fan.
We know the importance of a dependable heating and cooling system that gets the job done, providing cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter. As soon as you are ready, our highly skilled and experienced HVAC technicians can immediately work on your ductless mini-split system.
Signs You Need Ductless Mini-Split Repair
- Poor installation quality. When not installed properly, a mini-split system won't also be able to cool or heat your space accordingly.
- Bad control board. Mini-splits have two or three outside control boards and the indoor unit has one. Occasionally, they can fail and will have to be replaced.
- Dirty filters. When your air filter is not cleaned regularly (and properly), the lack of airflow can stop the system from cooling or heating accordingly.
- Dirty components. A dirty and dusty lower or coil can cause mini-split issues. When gunk accumulates on said components, heat transfer can be inhibited and the unit won't function as it should.
- Refrigerant leaks. When your system has a refrigerant leak, it won't be able to heat or cool your space properly. The coil can also freeze up.
Below are some of the ways we troubleshoot a mini-split that is not working properly:
- Installation analysis. There are instances when a mini-split issue is caused by improper installation. We will check if the installation has been done properly. If not, we will make the required adjustments.
- Electrical analysis. All the contact and wirings will be checked to see if there are any problems. The control board will also be checked to see if it's causing the problem.
- Drain the line flushing. When the drain line is clogged, it can inhibit the performance of your mini-split system. We will clear the line so water can flow.
- Check for leaks. We will do a visual inspection to check for refrigerant leaks. When needed, we will also use an electronic leak detector.
- Cleanliness inspection. We will examine the blower, coils, and air filter. The system won't heat or cool when those important components are not clean. You will also likely experience some airflow problems.
Did You Know?
Mini-splits are electric high-efficiency heat pump systems that can heat and cool your spaces. Mini-splits are very sensitive to maintaining a temperature within a half a degree and with much less use of energy than traditional HVAC methods.
Energy EfficiencyDuctless vs Ductwork
- Hinders overall heating and cooling efficiency by around 25%.
- Distributes air through a network of leak-prone ducts.
- Heats or cools entire home or not at all.
- Saves up to 40% on heating/cooling bills.
- Distributes air directly from indoor unit into the conditioned space.
- Full control over temperature of any single room being occupied.